Making an Italian Plumber Do My Bidding

I still have video games on the brain lately, and I don't think it is going anywhere. It could be my daily playing of the Original Super Mario for the NES, or working on painting my guitar hero guitar to match my I Am 8-Bit strap. Not all video game material is design related, so sometimes it is just what is on my mind, but sometimes you've got to think of design as a whole. To me Mario is the design of the future of video games, the design of history, and the design of creative thinking (a leaf that turns you into a raccoon, sort of, but gives you the ability to fly...come on! Nothing like that out there right now)

This is a very detailed chart of various Mario Power Ups as it progressed through the different video games. The small text in the black areas also goes into detail why certain power ups are important to the game's development as a series. You can click on the image to enlarge it and read it a bit easier.

I originally found this as CPLUV and I think it is from Go Nintendo, it was really hard to source the original document.

So, question time. It's a two Parter, and I know a lot of people that read this blog aren't active commenters (and I know a video game question isn't going to appeal to everyone)...BUT

1 What is your favorite Mario Power Up, and why?
2. If you could have one for yourself, what would it be?

2 comments:

September 1, 2009 at 6:36 PM

jebbica said...

I'm surprised no one has commented on this, yet. I might be a little vanilla in saying this, but my favorite Mario power-up has to be the feather in Super Mario World, which turns you into a tanuki superhero--it gets you into the secret area (where you can always get Yoshi) via a ghost house. Unless you're underwater, in which case flowers are the way to go.

September 1, 2009 at 6:37 PM

jebbica said...

my mistake-- not a tanuki, just a superhero.

Post a Comment