L is for "Learn Your Alphabet"






I came across this great keyboard from Chris Delorenzo today. Love the illustrations and then concept of using some updated images to teaching the ABC's (we can only learn A is for Apple so many times). Here is a bit of information from their website:

We used to learn our alphabets by reading those classroom banners that associated each letter with an animal or object. These days as kids become increasingly computer dependent at an early age I thought it was about time to adapt an old method to a new medium. 

From cultural icons to greek mythology, this keyboard sticker set will advance the alphabetical knowledge of any child, or adult.

So I do have a few problems with this though. I studied a lot of information on child development and reading for my senior thesis, and if this is intended to help kids and not just be fun stickers for your adult keyboard it seems like you would need the letters there as some reinforcement. This wouldn't be as bad with "F is for Fox" since kids know what foxes look like. But when you start running into "B is for Bowie" a kid is not going to know Bowie and may forget that that IS Bowie, and then not able to find the B key.

Also, I know I said I really like these illustrations, but they felt really familiar to me. After staring at it for a few minutes, I realized why. They are in the same style and color palette as the "Things I like" Poster from Richard Perez. Then as I looked closer I noticed V is for Vampire, and that IS Richard's drawing from his poster. I didn't see on the website that they collaborated on this, but I'll send them a message and see what's up.


I got a hold of Chris and some of his inspiration did come from Richard's work. His idea was to take different influences from designers to have it a bit of a multi generational compilation with the ladybug referencing Charlie Harper etc.

Anyone know what Q is? I can't figure that one out.

[via AT]

3 comments:

November 17, 2009 at 2:54 PM

Michael said...

quaker, like quaker oats.

November 17, 2009 at 3:24 PM

Josh - The Large Bear said...

Score, didn't catch it as a Quaker. More used to Amish around my parents.

December 6, 2009 at 10:26 PM

Josh - The Large Bear said...

Around these "parts"... just realized I mistyped that

Post a Comment